Keeping the people you love in the conversation and part of the celebration is one of the most meaningful things you can do this holiday season.
- Be attentive to guests that are quiet at a holiday party and bring them back into the conversation.
- Turn off music and television during mealtime.
- Keep the room well lighted so facial expressions and mouths of those speaking are visible.
- Speak clearly and slowly at a comfortable room volume.
- Face the person or get their attention before speaking by saying their name or gently touching their hand, arm, or shoulder.
- Rephrase the conversation instead of repeat because it may be a particular word or sound of speech that they’re having trouble deciphering.
- Stay or sit close as it is more difficult to hear someone from across the room and harder to see their mouth and facial expressions.
- Seek them out and enjoy a one-on-one conversation in a quiet corner or during a quiet walk.
- Seat them at the dinner table with someone who will be proactive in making sure they’re following the conversation and patient if they need things repeated or rephrased.